Taking clear and accurate minutes is a core task for any office admin, secretarial or PA job. This course will teach you all of the skills and techniques you need to take the stress out of minute taking.
Is this for you?
If you work as a Secretary, Administrator, PA, EA or Office Manager for instance, your role may involve taking notes or minutes at meetings.
About this course
Help save wasted hours & make your mark in the office!
A core role in any office admin, secretarial or PA job is supporting your team, aiding productivity and efficiency in an otherwise manic world!Time is precious and meetings can often be a thorn in our side.Thousands of hours are wasted in the British workforce through ‘having meetings’ – but when used properly, productively and proficiently they can be very valuable forms of communication.
- Harness the power of productive meetings
- Understand the need for different types of meeting
- Clarify the roles of chair, attendee and minute taker
- Understand the logistics required for arranging meetings
- Plan and prepare to ensure every meeting has a clear focus
- Organise others to increase meeting efficiency
- Clearly document key points
- Understand how to feed back actions
- Determine the output of each meeting in no uncertain terms.
There are three lessons in this course: –
Lesson One: what minutes are, the cycle of a meeting, different types of meeting, the purposes and benefits of meetings, the roles of chair, attendee and minute taker, the tasks that a minute taker might undertake before the meeting, notice of the meeting, arranging the venue and refreshments, preparing the agenda, dealing with documents that may be needed for a meeting, distributing the agenda, last minute preparations.
Lesson Two: definition of the role of the minute taker, preparation for the start of the meeting, the four steps of listening, skills to speed up your note taking, what to note down in a meeting, the importance of the liaison between minute taker and chair, confidence, assertiveness.
Lesson Three: grammar, spelling, punctuation, vocabulary, how to use reported speech, word processing skills, proofreading, typing up the minutes, distributing the minutes.